I’ve spent a long time trying to make the perfect healthy waffle, and I’ve finally succeeded. It’s airy, it’s fluffy, it’s delicious and of course, it’s also vegan, gluten free, contains no oil, and is a great way to enjoy a healthy treat!
This whole time, I have been neglecting the potential of almond flour (more accurately, turning the pulp from my almond+cashew mylk into flour). Almond flour gives the waffle a lovely fluffiness and flavour and makes it absolutely delectable. This recipe also features buckwheat flour, which is a seriously nutritious flour made from ground buckwheat kernels. I love that this recipe is super simple and doesn’t contain 6 different types of flour or any bizarre ingredients – all of them would be in most people’s kitchen, or at least easily found at your local supermarket. You can easily double the quantity of ingredients to make another waffle if you’re cooking for two (or if you’re just really hungry!). I find this waffle to be sweet enough without adding any additional maple syrup, but you do you.
If you try out this recipe, let me know in the comments below, or say hello on my Instagram account (@mylkd_). Happy cooking!
THE PERFECT WAFFLE
Time: 15 minutes or less
- 1/4 cup of almond flour
- 1/4 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp of plant-based mylk (soy, almond etc)
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp of almond butter
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add mylk and whisk until lump free and forms a smooth batter.
- In a seperate bowl, add the almond butter and maple syrup. Microwave for 30 seconds and then remove (be careful not to microwave for longer than 30 seconds or the sugars in the maple syrup may start to burn). Whisk the mixture with a fork until the nut butter has combined with the maple syrup and formed a smooth paste.
- Add the almond butter/maple syrup mixture to the waffle batter. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the waffle batter into a hot waffle iron and then cook for approximately 5-10 minutes, depending on the heat of your waffle iron.
- Serve and enjoy!
Questions? Comments? Let me know in the comment section below!