With the weather cooling down as we move toward winter, it’s far too cold to be drinking cold smoothies for breakfast at the moment. As my diet shifts to include warm breakfasts and fresh, juicy oranges, I like to regularly include this highly nourishing warm drink as part of my morning routine to give me an antioxidant boost and a chocolate-y hit first thing! It contains a generous dosage of superfoods and healthy fats to give your body a much-need boost while we head into flu-season. You can also throw in some warming spices like cayenne or ginger to kick things up a notch, or some rose petal powder for some vitamin C, some medicinal mushroom powders for an extra nourishing boost, and even some nut or seed butters for additional creaminess.
THE HOT (SUPER) CHOC
Total time to make: 5 minutes
- 2 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp cacao butter chunks
- 1-2 tsp maca powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut cream, or a generous splash of nut/seed mylk
- 1 scant cup of freshly boiled water
- Pinch of cayenne
- Slice of raw ginger
- Coconut butter
- Almond butter
- Medicinal mushroom powder
- Rose petal powder
- Mesquite powder (provides a nutty caramel taste)
- Vanilla extract
- Place the dates in the cup or mug you will be using, and pour the hot, freshly boiled water over the top. Allow them to soak for about 3 minutes so that they soften considerably.
- While the dates are soaking, add the rest of the ingredients to a blender.
- Once the dates are soft, add the dates (and the water they have been soaking in) into the blender and blend for a couple of minutes.
- Pour into your cup and enjoy the warm, frothy goodness!