Weekends are made for pancakes, both sweet and savory, but savory options win me over every time.
This savory pancake is made using chickpea flour, which makes it a high protein option that is both versatile and delicious (and gluten free, of course)! The beauty of a savory pancake is that you can throw literally anything on top of it and use up any random left overs that are floating around at the end of the week.
The savory pancake pictured is topped with spicy cauliflower, wilted spinach, smoky bbq cashew cream, smoked garlic sauerkraut, caramelised onion relish, cracked pepper and vegan parmesan cheese. Delish.
THE SAVORY PANCAKE
- 1/2 cup besan (chickpea) flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp egg replacer
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat a non-stick pan to medium high.
- Add all ingredients to a blender except for the apple cider vinegar and blend until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and let the batter rest for 5 minutes so that the vinegar can curdle the batter.
- Blend again for a few seconds to combine.
- Pour half the batter into the pan and cook until the edges begin to set (about 1-2 minutes). I like to use a little bit of vegan butter to grease the pan and provide a buttery taste to the pancake as well.
- Once the edges have set, flip and cook for a further minute or so.
- Repeat with the remaining half of the batter.
- Top with whatever you like!